How does the world’s largest aircraft, the Antonov AN-225, get off the ground and fly? What are the incredible innovations behind the world’s tallest building, Dubai’s Burj Khalifa? And what breath-taking engineering triumphs make the International Space Station the most innovative and expensive superstructure ever built?
Superstructures: Engineering Marvels, is a brand new six part series from Pioneer Productions, currently airing on National Geographic, reveals the extraordinary feats of engineering hidden inside the world’s most spectacular man-made constructions. Each superstructure is taken apart using computer generated graphics and insight from world class specialists to reveal the size, scale, and startling innovations that turned each of them from dream to reality.
Thomas Viner, Creative Director, Pioneer Productions, says “More than ever, modern structures hide their fascinating engineering secrets deep inside - Superstructures: Engineering Marvels is a fantastic opportunity to look inside some of the world’s most spectacular constructions, and reveal how they really work.”
The six episodes in the series look at:
- Monster Plane - How does the world’s largest aircraft, the Antonov AN-225, get off the ground and fly?
- Ultimate Cargo Ship – Uncover how the giant cargo ship GPO Amethyst transports huge structures across the world by partially submerging underneath them.
- Space Station - The International Space Station is taken apart to uncover the engineering behind the most expensive structure humans have ever built.
- Tallest Building - The incredible innovations behind the world’s tallest building, Dubai’s Burj Khalifa.
- Biggest Dome – Take a look under the largest free-spanning dome in the world, which covers the Singapore National Stadium.
- Giant Car Plant - This episode uncovers the engineering and production innovations hidden inside it Germany’s Wolfsburg factory - the largest car plant in the world.
Superstructures: Engineering Marvels (6x60’) is a Pioneer Production for National Geographic. It is currently airing on National Geographic on Thursdays at 8pm. It is Exec Produced by Thomas Viner and Series Produced by Mike McDowall for Pioneer Productions, and the Exec Producer for National Geographic is Sue Davidson.
Award-winning documentary maker, Stacey Dooley MBE, is set to take her hit W show overseas, in the brand-new three-part series Stacey Dooley Sleeps Over USA (3x60’). The UKTV Original series is produced b...
The Tinopolis US company hires the BAFTA-nominated development executive from the UK to bolster programming slate
Magical Elves, a leading producer of award-winning nonfiction content including Bravo’s “Top Chef” and Netflix’s “Na...